Is a JioFi router faster than Jio SIM used in a mobile as hotspot?
Lockdown caused us to work from home. Even many companies sent their employees to their home, town and assisted to work from there if decent internet connectivity is there.
Thanks to Indian telecom companies who handled the connectivity all over the India, telcos like Jio which is affordable and available everywhere. I was bombarded with over dozen of non-techie friends about use of JioFi router vs using Jio SIM in a mobile as hotspot.
Even JioFi router uses the same Jio SIM for the internet access. So the coverage will be almost the same, while JioFi has two advantages over Jio SIM used as mobile hotspot.
Advantages of JioFi router.
- JioFi has bigger 4G antenna compared to we’ve in our mobile, means there will be marginally better and stable coverage compared to mobile.
- JioFi is a sort of dedicated device for internet means you can place it anywhere.
Disadvantage of JioFi router.
- The carrier aggregation feature in not available in JioFi.
Advantages of Jio SIM used as mobile hotspot.
- You don’t need to buy another device and SIM for other device, your mobile hotspot will share the same internet with hotspot.
- Some high-end features like carrier aggregation is only available and limited to mobile.
Disadvantages of Jio SIM used as mobile hotspot.
- The noticeable issue is faster drain of battery.
- A Mobile hotspot is a temporary solution for a mobile router, and it cannot compete with a dedicated mobile router like JioFi. So the connection and coverage will not be stable.