How to define your own success? Find some success areas
The many faces of success… fame, money, recognition, power, understanding, love, security, … etc.
Which one matters to you? Are you pursuing a version of success that doesn’t line up with who you are, who you want to be, what your values are?
It’s not that HAVING fame or fortune is a BAD thing if it happens to you.. but if you’re focusing your life on reaching some “pinnacle of success” without ever thinking about what that pinnacle is, you should stop now and figure it out.
You might be wasting your life to acquire something you don’t actually care about.
It’s an important distinction to make.
How to figure out your success areas?
The way to define your own success is to think about what you value. Once you figure out your values, you’ll be able to define your version of success, which usually boils down to living a sustainable life according to your values, investing your time – money – self into what you value.
Ask yourself: “What does success look like?”
15 questions to ask yourself to find your values:
- What do I spend my free time/extra money on now?
- What did I love as a kid? (Find the grown-up version.)
- What am I trying to avoid or escape? Why?
- What’s my “unlimited” day look like?
- What am I good at?
- Where are my successes? (What do people praise me for?)
- What are the interests/skills with the longest history in my life?
- What are the common themes of my life?
- What are my valid qualifications?
- Who are my heroes, and why?
- What would I do for free, just for the fun of it, or the reward of it?
- What “hard thing” do I regularly participate in voluntarily?
- What stage of life seems ideal to me?
- What stage of life am I in? What do I enjoy about it?
- What are the constants in my life?
I hope these questions will surely highlight some success areas.
Forget about what other people may think.
People will surely forget what you said, people will surely forget what you did, but people will never ever forget how you made them feel. So stop bothering about what others may think.
Make a plan.
To define your own success, a plan is always needed. So make a plan about how you will explain your success in the storyline and define yourself as a successful man.
These are some tips to define your own success. Let us know how will you define your own success? What landmarks or milestones are important to you when it comes to being successful?